Thursday, December 29, 2005

2005: A Year in Review, Part Two

It’s day two of my mysterious return to the blogging world, and today I will bring you the first half of my top thirteen albums of the year. Let me just assure you now that I probably missed your favourite band or put a few up there you disagree with. Well, that’s just your bad luck. These are my favourites, not yours.

So here we go. Bottoms up.

13. Andrew Bird – Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs
Thank you to Mr. Bird for providing me with such a solid album to start off my list. The Mysterious Production of Eggs is classy and elegant. I am always a big fan of albums that incorporate other stringed instruments in with guitars. This album is a step above your average acoustic record. My only criticism would be that I tend to get a little bored with the album after a while, but other than that, I can’t really find much wrong with it. A very good way to begin the countdown.

12. Caribou – The Milk of Human Kindness
Caribou, or should I say Manitoba, is the brainchild of Dan Snaith, and once again, he does not disappoint. The Milk of Human Kindness covers quite a lot of ground in its short 40 minutes. It starts off with the quick, systematic “Yeti,” gets funky with “Lord Leopard,” mellows out for “Hello Hammerheads,” and finishes full circle with “Barnowl.” I think this is what I like so much about the album. It’s like taking a little trip. Not as much as other albums that shall be named later, but still, it stretches out from its boundaries. Another good album from Mr. Snaith.

11. Of MontrealThe Sunlandic Twins
Here’s another band who doesn’t really ever disappoint. Of Montreal has been making music for almost ten years, so they should know how it’s done, right? While The Sundlanic Twins isn’t exactly their best album ever made (I’m partial to Satanic Panic in the Attic, myself), it’s still a fantastic album, filled with their signature happy-go-lucky style. If you need something to wake you up in the morning, I highly recommend any one of their albums.

10. Coldplay – X&Y
Part of me feels bad for having put this album so far down on the list, but with so many good albums out this year, this is just where it fell in my spectrum. The thing I like so much about this album is that it feels like it’s the soundtrack to a trip through space. X&Y seems like such a departure from their previous albums. It’s got a lot more layers, more to listen to, a lot more attention to the details. It’s not just guitars and pianos. Now there’s synthesized sounds and a very open, spacey feel. It’s a very great direction for them to go in, to separate themselves from bands that have come along since they made it big that sound a lot like them. I like the change.

9. Kings of Leon – Aha Shake Heartbreak
Kings of Leon are an unusual choice for me, and I know more than one person who was pleasantly surprised to hear that I actually like them. I guess maybe they’re a little more rock than I tend to listen to, which is good because they add a little flavor to my iPod playlist. Aha Shake Heartbreak is a very fun rock album, with little ditties like “The Bucket,” with clever words and unusual melodies. I think this is a great album to take on the road with you sometime when you can roll down the windows.

8. Sigur Ros – Takk
This must have been the year for our solid favourites to come out with more solid albums. Sigur Ros rocks out a little more on this album without leaving behind any of their trademark sounds. One thing is noticeably different: the language. Opting out of the usual made up language of Hopelandic, Sigur Ros has gone with a straightforward Icelandic approach with Takk. It still sounds pretty sweet, it’s just easily translated. A good performance from a great band. Oh, and Columbus kids better be there when they come to town on February 14th!

7. Fischerspooner – Odyssey
I honestly hadn’t heard this album until yesterday. I’m totally serious. I saw it on a couple lists and thought I’d give it a shot and wow. I’m totally amazed by this album. Ever since I got it, I’ve been dancing around my bedroom. Odyssey incredible, exactly what I look for in electronic and dance music. It’s just fantastic. I don’t know why I never got it, probably just a lapse in memory, but ever since I heard the song “Never Win,” I’ve been dying to throw a dance party. Haha, so if you are ever in Ohio and want to have a Fischerspooner dance party, bring along a few lights and a copy of this album.

To save on space and keep you guys coming back for more, you’ll just have to wait until tomorrow for the rest of my favourite albums of 2005. So sit tight, because I’m going to come back tomorrow. I promise.

2 Comments:

Blogger lotuyonotienenombre said...

odyssey is too good... if you have any chance, go to any fischerspooner show. i saw them in new york, last halloween, and it was u·n·b·e·l·i·e·v·a·b·l·e.
(i have a few pictures of it in my blog, in the first days of november ;)

1:23 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Thanks! Those pictures are amazing! I really wish I could see them sometime.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home