Monday, August 08, 2005

Monday Morning Monotony

There are a few things to talk about today, one of which has to do with Sufjan Stevens, but I wanted to spare everyone for at least a day from having yet another main article about him. Unfortunately, I can't really find anything else that I would consider worthy of a main article, so I'll just briefly talk about everything.

So, to get this out of the way, let's discuss Sufjan for just a second. I really find it funny that John Styll of the Christian Music Trade Association even has to talk about why Sufjan isn't part of the Christian music industry. For those of us who actually think about these things on our own, it's obvious. Nevertheless, he explains that, because Sufjan's albums are not distributed enough through Christian channels and because he doesn't want them to be in the first place, he isn't considered desirable for the CMTA. "That's OK," Styll tells Reuters. Good to know. To actually qualify for the CMTA's attention, his albums would have to sell a quarter of his first-week sales in Christian record stores, have some sort of airplay on Christian stations, and have what the CMTA considers Christian lyrics. It's interesting to note that the CMTA embraces bands like Switchfoot, who no longer even speak about Jesus and have opted for the "positive message" approach which insinuates Christianity but leaves it so vague that secular listeners don't recognize they're Christians at all, but because they have a history of being a Christian band are already recognized by CMTA. Sufjan actually comes out and talks about Jesus, and his album Seven Swans could practically be a worship album, but I guess that's not enough. It seems to me like the CMTA has a different definition of Christian lyrics depending on who they're talking about, but like Styll said, "That's OK." What it boils down to is that it doesn't matter what the CMTA says or does when it comes to Sufjan Stevens because he doesn't want to be a part of them anyway.

Sad news: Ibrahim Ferrer of Buena Vista Social Club fame has passed away at the age of 78. He died in Havana from emphysema.

Chart Attack talks to Tammy Ealom of Dressy Bessy about her band's new album, Electrified, and what it's like to be loved by the members of Coldplay.

Speaking of Coldplay, they will release their new single, "Fix You," with a couple new b-sides, "Poor Me" and "The World Turned." Look for it on September 5.

I am still unlucky. The Arcade Fire has extended its Fall tour yet again, and they're still not coming to Columbus. The band has opted for some pretty large festivals this time, but I'd still like them to return to Little Brother's as they did last December. My fingers are crossed.

Jon Heder stars as a meter-reader in his latest movie, School of Scoundrels, alongside Billy Bob Thorton, who plays a motivational speaker. The premise: meter-reader wants girl, enrolls in self-help class taught by motivational speaker who also wants girl. Sounds interesting.

Does it surprise anyone else that Death Cab for Cutie's new album, Plans, which was leaked last week, is starting to receive praise from some bloggers? Welcome to the Midwest says that it's "Transatlanticism-meets-The Postal Service," which actually puts me off because I think Ben Gibbard should keep the two bands separate entities entirely. I guess you can't escape wanting to make the less successful one more like the more successful one in order to sell more. Perhaps it was the idea of their new label, Atlantic. Stereogum actually loves the album, but doesn't say why. I took a listen to the song they had streamed on their myspace profile a while back, I don't remember what the song was now, but I couldn't stand it. I miss the days when Death Cab sounded a bit more raw, when they had less money and poor studios. Their new sound is too over-produced. It's practically made for radio. I also feel like maybe I've grown beyond them. There was a time in my life when listening to Ben Gibbard croon about sad things made me feel better about my life because I realized mine wasn't the only life that sucked. Nowadays, I don't need that, and it's made me stray from Death Cab. Should I give the album, the full album, a chance? I can't decide. Chances are I probably won't.

Tomorrow is new release day and I don't have any money, so I won't be buying these:
Bjork - Drawing Restraint 9
Koufax - Hard Times are in Fashion
Limbeck - Let Me Come Home
Then again, I probably wouldn't buy those last two even if I had money. Links care of Largehearted Boy.

Upcoming Columbus Shows
Just found out today that Reggie and the Full Effect are coming to Columbus. Tragically, they're playing with two crappy bands. Will it be worth it? I don't know...

8.11 - Ben Folds w/ Ben Lee and Rufus Wainwright - Promowest Pavilion
8.12 - Velvet Revolver w/ Chevelle - Germain Ampitheater
8.13 - Switchfoot - The Ohio State Fair
8.20 - Pretty Girls Make Graves - Little Brothers
8.23 - Thunderbirds Are Now! w/ Kiss Me Quick - Little Brother's
8.30 - Xiu Xiu w/ Das Yellow Swans and Nedelle - Little Brother's
8.31 - Coldplay w/ Rilo Kiley - Germain Ampitheater
9.02 - Over the Rhine - Little Brothers
9.10 - The White Stripes w/ The Greenhornes - Ohio Theater
9.12 - Stellastarr* - The Basement
9.14 - Sufjan Stevens - Southgate House (Newport, KY)
9.15 - Reggie and the Full Effect w/ My Chemical Romance and Alkaline Trio - Promowest Pavilion
9.20 - Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah - Little Brother's
9.24 - The Rolling Stones w/ Beck - Germain Ampitheater

10.08 - The Fiery Furnaces - The Wexner Center
10.14 - The Decemberists - Newport Music Hall

Daily Downloads
Courtesy of the one, the only, Regnyouth Archives

Radiohead - Hail to the Theif
Air - Moon Safari

To my happiness, my sound card has been replaced and I'm back listening to music again. Praise the Lord!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The premise: meter-reader wants girl, enrolls in self-help class taught by motivational speaker who also wants girl. Sounds interesting."

If by "interesting", you mean "shitty", I agree. Rushmore did it better.

"I also feel like maybe I've grown beyond (Death Cab)"

Oh summer life! Goodbye to bittersweet summer as we pretentiously enter the autumn of our years. Yea verily!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home