Tuesday, August 09, 2005

He broke the hearts of a thousand teenage girls in one fowl swoop...

It's been forever since I've had something to say about Brandon Flowers. Has it really been since the Killers/Bravery war of the words? I think it has. At any rate, there's finally a news story about him (he's been so elusive lately), and because today is yet another slow day, it makes the headline.

My apologies to the 14-year-old girls who now must find a picture of some other lead singer of some other band to kiss at night. Flowers got hitched to Tara Munblowsky. And with a name like that, I really hope she doesn't plan on hyphenating it.

Due to the shock this may have been, I'm sure many of you haven't had the time to find a new man to swoon over. Might I suggest printing out one of these fellows' mugshots:
Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie, The Postal Service, All-Star Quarterback)
Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes)
Chris Carrabba (Dashboard Confessional)
Andrew McMahon (Something Corporate)
Chris Conley (Saves the Day)

I think you get the idea.

And now for some real news...

Famous ABC journalist and host of World News Tonight, Peter Jennings has passed away from lung cancer. He was 67.

Keeping up with yesterday's trend, I will only tell you that The Village Voice has an article about Sufjan Stevens.

It didn't take very long for Coldplay's new album X&Y to reach double platinum.

While Q and not U are calling it quits, Chris Richards will continue to play music with his new group Ris Paul Ric.

Prefix gives the new Deerhoof EP, Green Cosmos, a 3.5. Don't worry, it's out of 5.

Oh boy, Death Cab for Cutie is going on tour, and to my surprise they will not be hitting up Columbus, at least not yet. If they do, I predict it to be at Promowest. You know, I remember seeing them at Little Brother's forever ago. How much time changes things.

It seems Tommy Lee has gone from bad boy to... pop star? What the heck?! Okay, so I definitely saw his latest video, "Good Times," and, yeah, I was pretty creeped out. Tommy had to ditch the major labels to release Tommyland, which Coolfer predicts will be a flop. I agree.

Courtesy of Prefixblog, a South Korean man dies of exhaustion after playing a computer game for 50 hours. Just minutes before his death, he assured friends he'd finish the game and come home. Also, Apple defines bloggers as "unhealthy."

Upcoming Columbus Shows
The Violent Femmes? How did I miss that one? Hope I can get off work...

8.11 - Ben Folds w/ Ben Lee and Rufus Wainwright - Promowest Pavilion
8.12 - Velvet Revolver w/ Chevelle - Germain Ampitheater
8.13 - Switchfoot - The Ohio State Fair
8.19 - The Violent Femmes - Lodge Bar
8.20 - Pretty Girls Make Graves - Little Brothers

8.23 - Thunderbirds Are Now! w/ Kiss Me Quick - Little Brother's
8.30 - Xiu Xiu w/ Das Yellow Swans and Nedelle - Little Brother's
8.31 - Coldplay w/ Rilo Kiley - Germain Ampitheater
9.02 - Over the Rhine - Little Brothers
9.10 - The White Stripes w/ The Greenhornes - Ohio Theater
9.12 - Stellastarr* - The Basement
9.14 - Sufjan Stevens - Southgate House (Newport, KY)
9.15 - Reggie and the Full Effect w/ My Chemical Romance and Alkaline Trio - Promowest Pavilion
9.20 - Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah - Little Brother's
9.24 - The Rolling Stones w/ Beck - Germain Ampitheater

10.08 - The Fiery Furnaces - The Wexner Center
10.14 - The Decemberists - Newport Music Hall

Daily Downloads
Supplied by the Regnyouth Archives

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Coldplay - X&Y
Doves - The Last Broadcast
Matthew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight

I probably won't get to post the rest of the week thanks to my work schedule and my family coming into town. Have a great one, and I'll be back when life is less hectic.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He broke the hearts of a thousand teenage girls in one fowl swoop..."

What the hell is he - a bird?

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home