Monday, June 13, 2005

X&Y vs Get Behind Me Satan

Alright people, here you have it. The grand-spanking new column you have been waiting for is here. Today, I bring you Good Album/Bad Album. I plan on starting off posting once a week and then, once I finish my portfolio for CCAD, I will post more.

Ok, this is how GA/BA is going to work. I will cast my ears, like a net, through the vast sea of music in the world today. When doing this, I will sort the good from the bad in a justly manner. What this means is, even if you are a band I love, I am not afraid to say “your new album sucks.” I do not believe in giving a good album review for a band just because they are, for example, the White Stripes. Ok, lets get started, shall we?

Bad Album

In the beginning, God created the Earth. After that, the Earth grew and blossomed into what was known as 1999AD, when The White Stripes birthed their self-titled first album. Their sound was raw, it was original, and most importantly it didn’t suck! The Stripes have come along way from Detroit, and had done a lot of genius in the world of minimalist rock.

And then came Get Behind Me Satan…

Starting off like a toilet flush, "Blue Orchid" is the first of thirteen tracks that make a fan want to cry. It lacks in so many departments that it is too hard to begin. When I first heard it, I thought to myself, “Gee, this band sounds like The White Stripes, but sounds like they are trying way too hard.” Sadly, it really was them after all. The rest of the album I found was one disappointment to the next. Songs like "Doorbell" and "Little Ghost" sound like poor Jack White wrote them while he was hung over. Something else I noticed, the album cover of Get Behind me Satan has a very close resemblance to Elephant. Have they run out of ideas? Meg White says in this NME interview that the album was “cursed” to begin with. On the other hand, maybe they just had to make a bad album now to get it over with. Byroncrawford.com has a very good track-by-track review if you need further proof.

Good Album

I know many of you have heard about the new Coldplay album X&Y and don’t know whether to hate it or love it. Well, I just listened to it the other day and was pleasantly surprised.

The whole album sounds like you are going through space with an English accent while your guitar is your navigational instrument and the drums as the engine. Stereoboard.com calls it “Coldplay’s next big leap.” Never the less, the new single "Speed of Sound" does slightly resemble "Clocks," which is an issue of mine and hasn’t gone unnoted. In this case, X&Y will still be rated as a good album because, if you are a fan of or not, this album is truly solid and complete. Pitchfork reports that Coldplay could be the next U2. If they keep it up, I may have to agree. See Indielondon.co.uk for a second opinion.

This is how I feel, so what do you think?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Pitchfork reports that Coldplay could be the next U2. If they keep it up, I may have to agree."

I wouldn't wish that on any band, no matter how boring and pretentious.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home