Friday, April 22, 2005

Where did that $25 million go, RIAA?

Good question. The answer is... to itself! Haha! Like I didn't see it coming or anything. Apparently the Recording Industry Association of America has yet to give a dime to any of the artists it claims to represent. Now this is what I call "a bunch of bull crap." The RIAA spends so much time defending itself against people "stealing money from its clients" by downloading music, and then it, in return, steals the money away from its own clients because *gasp* maybe the RIAA really is just a money hungry association of people who don't care about pleasing anyone, especially the album-buying public, but itself. What a revelation! Boy, if I ever felt guilty downloading music before, I sure as heck don't now. I would really like to know where that money is being spent and whose pockets it went into. I'd like to know how many new houses and new BMWs are being bought with the money that was originally going to go to the people who were supposedly losing money because of downloading music. I'm sure some artists -- probably the ones who can afford it -- have at least lost something out of it, but what about indie bands? Haven't they actually gained attention and therefore increased album/merch/ticket sales? That's another rant for another day... Perhaps maybe the only person losing substantial amounts of money is the RIAA itself, and therefore it feels justified by keeping the money to itself since, after all, it needs the money, right? It isn't like the RIAA is screwing any artists over or anything. No... It'd never do that. It'd never take a substantial cut from the money earned from album sales and then give a small percent to the artist who actually spent the time to write the music, record it, play shows, etc. This is disgusting. There's really no other way to put it.

Sorry, I'm irate.

In other news...

Noel Gallagher is the most pompous, arrogant man in British rock. It's just understood. Needless to say, it comes as no surprised that, when it comes to doing music videos, Gallagher's principle concern is making sure that the producers make him (and the rest of Oasis, but really just him) look ten years younger. Nevermind being artistically creative or anything. Gallagher goes on to say that he thinks music videos are a waste of his time, and maybe he has a point, but like it or not, music videos help increase brand awareness, to use public relations and marketing jargon, and when you're in a band that's known in the mainstream music industry, you have to market yourself. That's right, Noel. It's a "necessary evil."

If you want to get a taste of Franz Ferdinand's new album, look no further than the band's video diary. The diary, which is supposed to be on their website but isn't yet, will give fans an inside look into the making of the album as well as early access and previews of their new songs. While we're waiting to get a glimpse at the first songs, Alex Kapranos is describing it as "darker" and "less cold." Whatever that means.

I can't wait to hear Xiu Xiu's new album, La Foret, when it comes out on July 12th. Lucky for me, though, I don't have to wait that long to hear from them again. As I'm pretty sure I mentioned a while back, Xiu Xiu will be releasing a 7" split with Devendra Banhart. Of course, I have no idea when it's coming out. That's not all the band is doing. They will also be collaborating with a band called Larsen. Who knows when that will be. Hopefully we won't be hearing a year's worth of rumours before any concrete information like we did with that 7" split.

Who will be in the championship game of the indie label four square tournament? Sub Pop wants someone to come and play with them, and they've challenged all other indie labels in this mass email (care of Stereogum) to a game of bowling, volleyball, and baseball. May the best man... men... people... win.

I took a tip from Mystery and Misery and checked out the band Some By Sea. According to the M&M, they are the much more indie equivalent to Death Cab for Cutie, a wondeful substitute for those who are put off by having to hear Death Cab on The O.C. I was really pleasantly surprised. They're like the old Death Cab I loved, but strikingly... better, at least I think. I encourage you to check them out.

Chicago will soon be seeing a week-long extravaganza featuring Wilco. The band will perform for four nights as part of the filming for their new DVD. Lucky Chicago fans can go see it live, but the rest of us will just have to wait. It's okay, I already saw them.

In case you don't know what indie rock is, let Wikipedia ease your mind with its in-depth definition. Now that you know what indie rock is, let's find out what happens when indie rock becomes... not indie rock. A column by Richard Tribou in the Orlando City Beat outlines the four steps indie rock bands take to becoming unindie anymore. It's super funny, and I'll admit to having this mindset from time to time (think Death Cab for Cutie). Go read it.

Time for some multimedia! Check out this BBC4 feature on Doves. I now officially love BBC4. Check out that girl's accent! I want one. When you're done with that, might I suggest playing a little Yo La Tengo: Prisoners of Love Breakout. That's right, that game with the paddle that you move back and forth to hit a bounce this ball at these blocks... you know what I mean. This version features Yo La Tengo background music, and the object of the game is to save various things such as chapstick, Matador Records, and Hanukkah. You can play the game here, but be warned. It's extremely addicting.

Upcoming Columbus Shows

4.26 - House of Heroes w/ New Republic - Little Brothers
4.27 - Mute Math w/ Mat Kearney - Little Brothers
4.27 - MTU Campus Invasion feat. Muse w/ Razorlight - Promowest Pavilion
5.04 - The Wedding Present w/ The Organ and Tiara - Little Brothers
5.04 - Electric Six w/ VHS or Beta - Skully's
5.07 - The Decemberists w/ Willy Mason - Little Brothers
5.08 - The Books - Wexner Center
5.13 - Mae w/ The Academy Is... and Jamison Parker - Little Brothers
5.15 - Andrew Bird w/ Antenna - Little Brothers
5.17 - Stereo Total w/ Les Georges Leningrad - Little Brothers
5.27 - The Killers w/ Hot Hot Heat and Robbers on the Street - Promowest Pavilion
6.08 - Modest Mouse - Promowest Pavilion
6.13 - Iron and Wine - The Newport

Daily Downloads

BBC4 Feature on Doves (mov)

Brought to you by regnyouth:

Beulah - The Coast is Never Clear 2 (link, zip)
Of Montreal - Horse and Elephant Eatery 2 (link, rar)
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister 2 (link, zip)
Belle and Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant 2 (link, zip)
Beck - Mutations 2 (link, rar)

So, yeah, it's so nasty outside. It's like the beginning of the Great Flood or something. It's depressing to go to Weather.com and find that out of the next ten days, only one will have sun and barely any will get over the 60F mark. I hate April. It always toys with my head.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really remember how I ended up reading your Where did that $25 million go, RIAA? post (since I rarely ever read blogs anymore) but since I yours made me stop, I might as well write you something before i go back to working on my http://www.systemmastery.com/DownloadFullMovies.html site.

Hey, you can now say that someone from Guatemala read your site :)
Cheers

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca :) nice name. I don't get to hear that name that often here in Guatemala ;), (everyone speaks spanish). I working on my english right now, I have even started a download latest movies site in pure english, which is a first for me.

Anyways, just letting you know that someone from other parts of the world read your site.
Cheers

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was out to play some golf but the repair crew has the course all banged up since the last couple of days, and I'm kinda taking a break from working on my golf swing trainer site. Well, at least I got to visit your blog Rebecca (my blog's name is Wooden Tigger), and now you know that someone from Sweden visited your site.

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home