Monday, April 04, 2005

To be or not to be?

That is the question I ask myself every time I try to use my stupid blogger. So... yeah, someone fix this thing, because I'm tired of trying to get onto the site for a half hour. Friday's post went up missing because the site sucks. It was a good post, too. I don't remember it anymore, though, so you're out of luck. Anyway...

Something else that is to be -- or maybe not to be -- is Lollapalooza. As I stated in my last blog, the City of Chicago had, as of Thursday, not given the go-ahead for the weekend celebration. Today, however, the official Lollapalooza website was launched, announcing that the concert festival will be happening on July 23 and 24 in Chicago's Grant Park. The site will soon be offering advance ticket sales, starting on thursday.

This would be all fine and dandy... that is, if it were true at all. Both the Chicago Sun Times and the Chicago Tribune confirm that, without a doubt, the concert does not have the permission of the city yet. In fact, they haven't even applied for the permit. Capital Sports and Entertainment, the company attempting to put on the concert, it appears is going solely on optimism, which may or may not be a good thing, especially considering the Chicago Parks District has a history of turning down huge concerts. I'll continue to cover the story as the saga continues.

In other news...

The legendary Neil Young is still recovering from last week's brain surgery. The brain aneurysm was discovered shortly after his March 14th appearance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, where he experienced vertigo and blurred vision. Being the trooper that he is, he spent the time between then and the surgery recording in Nashville. Young is expected to make a complete recovery.

To conclude the previously reported Snow Patrol fiasco, the band has announced the addition of Paul Wilson as the new bassist and Tom Simpson as a full-time keyboard player.

The Raveonettes have their new single, "Love in a Trashcan," available for stream on their website. I really like this song. Go take a listen.

The Detroit News has a short but sweet article about Seattle's indie rock princesses Smoosh. Though there's really nothing said in this article that hasn't already been said about them (they're sisters, they're young, and they are taking indie rock by storm), I do have to mention that older sister Asya makes it abundantly clear that the duo is planning on continuing their musical career. That makes me very happy.

As sad as it is that the Unicorns have gone extinct, it is even more peculiar that Th' Corn Gangg has emerged from the ashes. What started out as a hip-hop side project has turned into a full-time group. If you're like me and you were a huge Unicorns fan but don't particularly like hip-hop, the prospects aren't good, but a recent Corn Gangg concert review on Pitchfork may lift your spirits a bit. The review gives a little more insight into who Th' Corn Gangg is and what they sound like. I was surprised to find out that they actually perform some of the Unicorns' big hits like "Ready to Die," only kicked up a knotch. I guess that means that, if they make it to your area, I suggest going to see them at least for the experience of it. You never know. You may actually... like it.

I gotta support the local scene. Tiara, my favorite local band, has just posted a ton of rarities, b-sides, and outtakes on their website. The link is in the downloads section.

Tomorrow is Tuesday, and that means... new music! Unless you've already downloaded some of these albums, like I have. It's funny, sometimes I forget these albums aren't out yet. Except that now they are. Here's the list:
The Album Leaf - Seal Beach EP
The Books - Lost and Safe
British Sea Power - Open Season
Hot Hot Heat - Elevator
Damien Jurado - On My Way to Absence
Various Artists - The O.C. Mix #4
Various Artists - The Verve Remixed, Vol. 3

Various Artists - The Verve Unmixed, Vol. 3

Special Feature! New Music!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is my bunny monkey. My boyfriend gave him to me on Easter and that day I named him Bunky.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is also Bunky. I found out this weekend that they are an indie rock band in San Diego, California, and they're really good! There are mp3s in the downloads section. I don't like the first song, but the other two are great. Go listen!

Upcoming Columbus Shows

4.07 - Copeland w/ Lovedrug and Acceptance - The Basement
4.09 - Aesop Rock w/ Hangar 18 and Metro of S.A. Smash - Little Brothers
4.19 - M. Ward w/ Norfolk & Western and DeVotchKa - Little Brothers
4.20 - m83 w/ Ulrich Schlauss (feat. the Moog documentary prior to performance) - The Mershon Black Box
4.21 - Clem Snide (w/ Robert Schneider of Apples in Stereo) - Little Brothers
4.26 - House of Heroes w/ New Republic - Little Brothers
5.07 - The Decemberists w/ Willy Mason - Little Brothers
5.08 - The Books - Wexner Center

Daily Downloads

The Raveonettes - "Love in a Trashcan" (link, stream)
Bunky - "BaBa" (mp3)
Bunky - "Chuy" (mp3)
Bunky - "Yes-No" (mp3)
Tiara - B-sides, outtakes, and rarities (link, lots of mp3s)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home