Wednesday, March 16, 2005

No reunion for Cocteau Twins

Cocteau Twins cancel Coachella Reunion

Sorry, Cocteau Twins fans, but the reunion show at Coachella originally scheduled for April 30 has been cancelled. Member Elizabeth Fraser announced today she had decided to pull out of the gig due to "personal reasons." Hmm... funny, where have I heard that before? I love how "personal reasons" is the excuse of choice these days. Plans were also underway to do a few more festival shows, but clearly those are also scrapped.

In other news...

Denver's own Dressy Bessy announced today that their new album Electrified will be released on June 14th and will be promoted with a world tour. Funny, when I saw them two years ago at the Bluebird in Boulder, I had no idea who they were. Dressy Bessy will also be featured on the soundtrack for the new movie Fever Pitch, which will be released on April 8th.

The OC Mix #4 is in the works, and Matt Pond has contributed his own version of the Oasis classic, "Champagne Supernova." You can get a preview of it here and decide for yourself what you think of it. Personally, I find it remarkable how much the background music sounds like Oasis, yet how much the vocals sound like a guy straining to sing a song that is not in his range. I love Matt Pond, but I love Oasis as well and for the most part I can't stand covers. Oh well. You be the judge.

And speaking of Oasis, NME uncovered the track listing for their new album, Don't Believe the Truth, which slated for release on May 30th. What I had originally heard would be a two-disc set has turned into an eleven-song album, featuring the single "Lyla," which will be released on May 16th. I can't wait.

Not that I care, but someone out there might. Snow Patrol bassist Mark McClellan has been ousted. The band has been working on their sophomore album, Final Straw, and decided that they could no longer continue with Mark on the roster. A new member has not been chosen.

Justin Hawkins of The Darkness is no dummy. Oh wait, he is. The 80's rock star... I mean... 00's rock star... has had a wax figure made in his likeness for a new display at Madame Tussaud's in London. Let's just hope he's not so hot he melts.

The most amazing female duo, in my opinion, talked to the associated press today. Smoosh, the kid wonders of synth pop, discussed the possibility of a second album, which before this was considered an unlikely situation. According to the interview, Asya, 13, and her little sister Chloe, 11, plan to focus first on being, well, normal kids. And who can blame them?

This isn't really news, but the Killers still suck, even when they're remixed.

Prefix Magazine posted part one of their interview with Explosions in the Sky. The band, whom Prefix heralds as the successors to Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor, has been on tour with Adem, and they discuss everything from how they started to Taco Bell. Part two is on the way.

Upcoming Columbus Shows

3.28 - Dogs Die in Hot Cars - Little Brothers
4.20 - Moog Documentary/m83/Ulrich Schnauss - Mershon Black Box
4.21 - Clem Snide - Little Brothers
4.26 - House of Heroes (no longer a CD release) - Little Brothers
5.08 - The Books - Mershon Black Box


Download(s) of the Day

Ladytron - Seventeen (Darren Emerson Remix)
Chances are you haven't heard this, since only 75 copies were ever made. Props to headphone sex for finding such a rarety.

On a more personal note...

Today I took my last final, astronomy, and totally got my butt handed to me. I laughed as I left the classroom, knowing very well that I probably got a third of the test even close to being right. At least there's a friggin' A-B curve. Stupid class. I work so hard and I'm only going to get a B.

That's all.

Currently listening to: Stereolab - Anonymous Collective

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i find your new blog to have a condescending tone....
i don't like it!

:)

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok not really condescending....
more like pretentious.
sorry for the confusion.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home