Thursday, April 28, 2005

I want to see The Arcade Fire again...

Lucky people in Toronto. This week, The Arcade Fire has played thrice at Danforth Music Hall in the beautiful city, and I am extremely jealous. From the sounds of things, last night's show was absolutely incredible. If you haven't had the chance to see them, I'm so sorry. If you had the chance and didn't go... I'm not sorry, because you should have gone, stupid. I can honestly say there's never been nor do I think there ever will be a show quite as epic as an Arcade Fire show. The band is large, duh, and it has a very thick sound. There's nothing shabby at all about them. They've got their act together.

Chromewaves takes an interesting look at The Arcade Fire show last night, explaining the concept of "you can't experience something for the first time again." I personally don't know if this applies to everyone, but from the sound of things, it happened to him, and that's unfortunate. Luckily, that feeling didn't last the whole night. According to his account, there was something off kilter at the beginning of the show, but, of course, the song "Wake Up" changed everything. The song is ethereal. Chromewaves also has pictures from the show.

Meanwhile, The Globe and Mail also has a very nice review of the show. My favorite part of the article is when they describe the ending of the show:

The last song of the night was "In the Backseat", a fraught childhood reverie sung with exquisite fragility by Chassagne. After reducing the song to silence then gently building it up again, the musicians finished the show by playing their way through the main floor, up into the balcony, then out into the street.

Wow. Just... wow.

In other news...

Like you can ever really improve on the Beatles. Nevertheless, come June 7th, you can pick up your very own copy of Beatles Regrooved, an album of electronic covers, including "Eleanor Rigby" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". Artists include The Natural, John Selway, and SkyLab2000. With a name like that, you can't go wrong, right? Right...

Stars recently talked with VH1 about the subject choice for their recent album, Set Yourself on Fire. I guess I haven't listened to it very closely, but from what the band explains, the album is about sex and death. Even more wonderful is the fact that they had originally planned to make the album solely about sex. Good grief. I hate the fact that we live in a society that trivializes sex and makes it a source of entertainment. Regardless, the band describes in artistic detail the ins and outs of their album. It sounds really depressing to me. If you're in the mood to hate the world, might I recommend that album and the movie Sideways. It's the most depressing movie I've ever watched. I hated it.

After attaining stardom thanks to the indie-film-turned-blockbuster Garden State, and after having their music used as a jingle for McDonald's (ugh... horrid), The Shins are ready to take it to the next level, and hopefully a higher one. The band spoke with MTV recently about the pressure they are feeling to record an album to top their last album, Chutes Too Narrow. As of right now, the plan is to release an album before the end of the year.

If I had a couple thousand dollars
I tell you what I'd do
I'd bid it on lunch with Chevy and Paul
And buy and iPod too

Okay, so I don't have a couple thousand dollars, so I won't partake in the auction love, but if you have a couple thousand dollars, might I suggest bidding on lunch at Gramercy Tavern with Paul Simon and Chevy Chase. Seriously, you'd be the coolest person ever. And if you brought me with you, you'd be like the coolest person ever. You have one week left and it's right now at about $1600. Bid high, bid often.

Upcoming Columbus Shows

5.04 - The Wedding Present w/ The Organ and Tiara - Little Brothers
5.04 - Electric Six w/ VHS or Beta - Skully's
5.07 - The Decemberists w/ Willy Mason - Little Brothers
5.08 - The Books - Wexner Center
5.13 - Mae w/ The Academy Is... and Jamison Parker - Little Brothers
5.15 - Andrew Bird w/ Antenna - Little Brothers
5.17 - Stereo Total w/ Les Georges Leningrad - Little Brothers
5.27 - The Killers w/ Hot Hot Heat and Robbers on the Street - Promowest Pavilion
6.08 - Modest Mouse - Promowest Pavilion
6.13 - Iron and Wine - The Newport

Daily Downloads
From Regnyouth:
(rar password = rya)

Dogs Die in Hot Cars - Please Describe Yourself 2 (link, rar)
Fountains of Wayne - Utopia Parkway 2 3 (link, zip)
Rilo Kiley - The Execution of All Things 2 3 (link, rar)
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois 2 3 4 5 (link, rar; password = GTA)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Stars

"Even more wonderful is the fact that they had originally planned to make the album solely about sex. Good grief. I hate the fact that we live in a society that trivializes sex and makes it a source of entertainment."

Does everything have to relate back to Jesus? "Set Yourself On Fire" is actually a lovely, inspiring album. Sorry it's not as good as the new Coldplay. . . cough . . . cough. . .

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog you have here! I am going to bookmark this one.

Play free online gamestoday at arcade queen

free arcade game for kidfree arcade game for kid

Play until you drop but whatever you do don't let your boss catch you!

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine Thousands Of Links Back To Your Web Site From Other People's Blogs!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca :) nice name. I don't get to hear that name that often here in Guatemala ;), (everyone speaks spanish). I working on my english right now, I have even started a download classic movie site in pure english, which is a first for me.

Anyways, just letting you know that someone from other parts of the world read your site.
Cheers

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the World Wide Web is home to a great number of marketing opportunities that you could avail of,

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca :) nice name. I don't get to hear that name that often here in Guatemala ;), (everyone speaks spanish). I working on my english right now, I have even started a best movie download site in pure english, which is a first for me.

Anyways, just letting you know that someone from other parts of the world read your site.
Cheers

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home